Thursday, January 20, 2005

"there is but one light..."

To my faithful few: Sorry for the light blogging, just had a job change and have some admin issues getting in the way or more coherent thoughts (of course, that's my opinion of the material posted here - feel free to disagree). I have consummed many cups of coffee at the "pay for library" in the neighborhood. Tonight, I was reading the current Naval History magazine and came across this jewel of a quote: “There is but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know of no way of judging the future but by the past.” – Patrick Henry This comment is so timely. With all the things going on in the country and the world right now, the study of history will tell us not much is new, yet many proclaim it to be. Something to ponder in the light of Patrick Henry's words and, if you're got some time on your hands to read a speech, wander to this address and see what Alexander Solzhenitsyn had to say at Harvard in 1978.

No comments: