Monday, December 20, 2004

I'm going to have to call and tell my 22 year old fetus something...

Words are powerful and in this day and age, it often seems that words are purposefully twisted to support an agenda, rather than to communicate reality, or a concept. The past few days news of a lady being murdered and then the child was cut form the dead mother's body and kidnapped was distressing. But, in order to make horrific point, for some complete lack of respect for humanity, the main stream media headlined this story with such lead ins as "Missing fetus found..." This left me to rheotically ponder the point, is this baby, at an 8 month term of life, still only worthy of the title of "fetus" because it did not trasit the birth canal, or because it was not extracted by a licensed medical doctor? Maybe I'm way off base here, but my biology degree taught me this was a "baby," and therefore, I believe this would have been the factual term to be used in the reports. On the other hand, it could have been one of those old, deadly sins, yep, greed, to motivate an editor to bend the scientific truth out of true, just to try and sell more papers... In any case, if "someone" decides to recalibrate our use of the term "fetus," to be aligned with these reports, I'll have to tell my daughter, born 22 years ago by C-Section, that she is now reclassified as a "fetus." Thankfully, she wasn't kidnapped. I wonder how she will take this?

No comments: