Tuesday, May 03, 2005

De Tocqueville on the Quran....

Once more, I find interesting things on Fjord Man. In this post, he links to a site that has an analysis of comments by modern historians Lewis and Pipes, against the backdrop of the insightful commentary of De Tocqueville. Here's the "money quote:"
"I studied the Quran a great deal. I came away from that study with the conviction that by and large there have been few religions in the world as deadly to men as that of Muhammad. So far as I can see, it is the principal cause of the decadence so visible today in the Muslim world and, though less absurd than the polytheism of old, its social and political tendencies are in my opinion more to be feared, and I therefore regard it as a form of decadence rather than a form of progress in relation to paganism itself."
A brilliant mind....

No comments: